From Sofia to Skopje
Skopje, a city with a 2000 years old tradition.
Skopje is the capital of the Republic of Macedonia, the City that lies in the heart of the Balkan Peninsula, at the crossroad of important communications, a city with a 2000 years old tradition.
Skopje also is a very attractive tourist destination with its fortress, cultural and historical monuments, archaeological sites, sport halls, caves in the canyon of the River Treska and Lake Matka and a health spa in the eastern part of the city.
Тhe distance between Sofia and Skopje is 240 km. Your traveling options by bus and train:
Bus from Central Bus Station Serdika
Sofia 09:30 am – Skopje 14:10 pm / with: Matpu/ Price 15 euro or 30 leva.
Sofia 16:00 pm – Skopje 20:40 pm /with: Transkop/ Price 15 euro or 30 leva.
Sofia 19:00 pm – Skopje 00:59 am /with: Matpu/ Price 15 euro or 30 leva.
There is no direct railway line between Bugaria and Macedonia. If you want to travel between the two countries by train, you will have to travel either via Serbia or Greece to do so.
If you travel via Serbia, travel from Sofia to Nis, then from Nis to Skopje. If you want to travel via Greece, you have to travel from Sofia to Thessaloniki then from Thessaloniki to Skopje.
What to see?
- Kale Fortress – you can go for a walk along the little walkway along the walls inside the fortress and enjoy relaxing at the park surrounding the fortress.
- Old Bazaar - symbol of the city connects the old town with the modern city centre – the bridge was first built in the 6th century and is also part of the coat of arms of the city.
- Skopje 2014 – monuments - has been realized on both ends of the Stone Bridge: these are new built monuments, buildings and statues which changed the character of the inner city.
- Memorial House of Mother Teresa - You can visit the Memorial House located at the place of the church where the Saint was baptised and find out more about her life and work.
- Mount Vodno & Millennium Cross - At the mountain top you'll find one of the biggest Christian Crosses in the world which was build in 2000 and can be seen from far away as it is also illuminated at night.